Thursday, June 9, 2011
Best Fresh Tomato Pasta Recipe
Try this fresh tomato pasta recipe while tomatoes and basil are plentiful in the garden and farmer’s markets. It is a very simple recipe, going over the basics. It is so easy to make your own tomato sauce, and also much healthier than sauces in a can or jar.
There are lots of options for whole grain noodles now, like kamut or brown rice, and they are much more nutritious than a white pasta.
As you probably know, tomatoes are fruits, but they are served as a vegetable. They are in the same family as potatoes and peppers. They originated in South America and only became popular in North America in the last century.
Serves 2 for dinner.
Fresh Tomato Pasta Recipe Ingredients
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 diced onion
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* 4 diced tomatoes
* 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil, or 2 tsp dried
* 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried
* pinch sea salt & pepper
* half a 454g (1lb) package of whole grain pasta
Fresh Tomato Pasta Recipe Directions:
1. Sauté the onions with a bit of olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat until translucent. Sauté the garlic next, until it softens.
2. Stir the tomatoes in, and then leave them to cook until they soften.
3. Stir in the basil, oregano, pepper and salt onto the tomatoes next, and leave the sauce on the heat at least another 10 minutes for the flavors to combine.
4. Cook the noodles by adding them to a pot of salted boiling water. If you are using brown rice or corn/maize pastas they cook a bit differently than wheat pastas. As the water hits the boil, add enough cool water to break the boil. Keep doing this until the pasta is cooked.
5. Assemble this simple, healthy meal by topping the pasta with tomato sauce, and garnish with fresh herbs.
Source: Heather Nauta is a registered holistic nutritionist who teaches you how to live a healthy vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, including how to get proper nutrition, enough protein, vitamin b12 and other minerals, and how to make an amazing variety of simple, fast healthy recipes that taste incredible for you and your family.