Sunday, April 10, 2011
Improve Muscle Tone By Stretching Everyday
Stretch every day for 10-15 minutes
Don’t underestimate the importance of stretching. Often overlooked, this simple exercise holds many weight loss benefits.
Stretching helps breathing and circulation. It improves muscle tone, strength and flexibility. It prevents injury so you can stick with a consistent fitness program. It’s relaxing (stress has real links to weight gain). And it’s exercise you can do anywhere – at your desk, at your daughter’s soccer game, even while driving. If you’re the type to plan out your daily exercise, mornings are perfect for stretching. This will not only prepare your muscles for the day, but the slow increase in heart rate also allows your body to wake up properly.
Here are tips on how to stretch:
- Inhale deeply.
- As you exhale, slowly and smoothly stretch to a point of moderate tension, before the warm "burn" turns painful. Don't bounce or jerk.
- Hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds.
- Breathe deeply and naturally during the stretch hold. Don't hold your breath. Stay relaxed.
- Slowly unstretch, and relax for a few seconds.
- Repeat the stretch two more times.
- If possible, try to extend the hold time a few seconds and to stretch a little farther each time.