* Eat a small meal or a snack every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar level, energy and mood stable. Eat less food more often!
* Include a lean source of protein at each main meal.
* Protein is the key for fat loss because it has a high thermogenic effect. This means that your body produces more heat when digesting protein; therefore, you burn more calories.
* Consume plenty of salads and vegetables as these are high volume foods.
* Avoid refined carbohydrates as these foods easily store as fat and give you a surge of energy followed by a drop in energy and mood.Examples are white sugar and white flour products such as white bread, white rice and white pasta.
* Choose complex carbohydrates as these foods are released slower into your system so they stabilize your energy level. Examples are whole grains such as brown rice and rye bread.
* It is best to eat your carbohydrates earlier in the day so that you have more time to burn them off. Limit starchy carbohydrates for fat loss.
* Include essential fatty acids (good fats) such as olive oil and omega 3, 6, and 9 in your diet.
* Fruit intake should not exceed 2 servings per day when you are trying to lose weight. Avoid fruit with and after a main meal that contains animal protein as this may cause digestive problems. Have fruit 1/2 hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after.
* Drink 8 cups of water/herbal tea/green tea per day. Avoid with meals. Avoid tap water.
Source: JM Nutrition