The Low-Down On Weight Loss Supplements
Every potential user probably already knows that weight loss supplements can come in many different forms; while some supplements are healthy, many can become addictive and cause permanent damage to the heart and nervous system. Before starting any new weight loss supplement, it is important to carefully read the packaging to check for possible side effects. It would be best to consult a physician before introducing any new supplements to make sure the right and safest choice is being made.
Although people rarely think about it, it has been proven that some weight loss supplements can cause permanent damage with just a few uses. Certain weight loss supplements, however, used correctly and in correct doses, can be very helpful, and a few little-known advanced dieting techniques can strip a body of fat quickly and effectively.
With all these different types of weight loss supplements to choose from, what should we take to most effectively aid the fat burning process?
Different types of weight loss supplements
There are several different weigh loss supplements in the market today, and people often complain of information overload because they’re finding it hard to figure out which ones are best for them.
There are over 300 different weigh loss supplements today on the market, including the following:
• Thermogenic Fat Burners
• Stimulant-Free Fat Burners
• Carb Blockers
• Fat Blockers
• Thyroid Hormone Increasers
• Appetite Suppressants
• Cortisol Blockers
• Transdermal Fat Loss Gels
• Other Fat Loss Products
Thermogenic Fat Burners
These fat burners don’t contain ephedra, which is probably their best property. If someone wants a good fat burner without ephedra, this is definitely the place to look. Some people simply don't tolerate ephedra because of their heart condition or other medical condition. Others just don't want ephedra because it makes them feel a little too jittery. In the past, fat burners without ephedra didn't work all that well, but research has intensified in this area, and the latest products are really helping people lose fat fast.
Because some people want to avoid stimulants altogether, including caffeine, experts from this field came up with a great idea – stimulant-free weight loss supplements! Today, there is a number of effective stimulant-free fat burners available. Although they are not as effective as some stimulant supplements, they are safer alternatives for some people. Results vary, but typically people lose an average of 7-10 pounds with these.
Carb blockers are a great standalone weight loss aid, but they can also be used in conjunction with thermogenics or other fat burners. The most famous carb blocker is BSN Cheaters Relief, which works by blocking the absorption of certain carbohydrates. Carb blockers are safe with no reported side effects, and can make it a lot easier to lose weight by absorbing up to 35 grams of unwanted starches per meal.
In addition to carb blockers, there are also fat blockers which serve a similar purpose. Their most important ingredient is a substance called chitosan. Their exact mechanism of function is based on binding fat in the digestive tract before you absorb it. It can trap as much as seven times its weight in fat, so even if you eat a little extra fat each day, fat blockers can keep some of it from being absorbed into your body. A pretty intelligent solution!
Thyroid supplements are nothing more then actual thyroid replacements for what body would normally produce. A person can regulate and optimize the thyroid so that it performs at a higher level than it would on its own. Regulators optimize and increase the intensity of metabolism. Popular thyroid-enhancing ingredients are Guggulsterones and Forskolin.
The most popular form of weight loss supplement is the appetite suppressant. An appetite suppressant will reduce a person’s desire for food in order to help them loose weight. A popular form of appetite suppressant is a bulking agent, which will absorb liquid in the stomach and swell up larger, making a person feel full when really they aren’t. However, many of these supplements contain guar gum, which can cause obstructions in the stomach, esophagus, and intestines.
When under stress, the body releases its primary stress hormone - cortisol. Cortisol is a potent signal to do two things - increase appetite and store fat. This means that whenever we're under stress, the increased cortisol in our body tells our brain that we're hungry, while at the same time telling our fat cells to store as much fat as they can (and then hold on to it as tightly as possible). Cortisol blockers can inhibit this process.
Fat Loss Creams or Gels
The latest innovation in fat loss technology produced a fat loss trans-dermal gel. It is extremely easy to use – you rub it on wherever you want to lose the fat. The Cutting Gel and other Yohimbe-based creams work very well, especially in conjunction with another fat burner.
Metabolic Enhancers - pros and cons
• Health Damage: A metabolic enhancer will increase metabolism and energy level, which is good, but also increase heart rate and possibly cause damage to the nervous system. Ephedra has been removed from the market because of its damaging and addictive effects. Doctors from Belgium and Germany discovered that the Chinese herb Aristolochia fangchi, often found in fat burners, may cause not only kidney failure but urinary tract cancer.
• Addiction: Weight loss supplements are often highly addictive.
• Poor long-term results: Simply eating less would help anybody lose weight, but of course, that is the hardest thing to ask a person to do when they are used to eating whatever they want. The use of appetite suppressant drugs is rather popular because they seem to achieve very fast short-term weight reduction. However. the long-term results are usually poor, if no behavioral change takes place.
• Tolerance and misuse: Most appetite suppressant medication is very similar to amphetamines. There is a major risk of tolerance and misuse of these drugs. Every user should be strictly restricted to short-term medication (6-12 weeks), combined with change of eating behavior, exercise and behavioral therapy.
• Short-term side effects: Possible short-term side effects include
o dry mouth
o blurred vision
o stomach upset
o a raise of heart rate and blood pressure
• Inefficacy: Pyruvate is an ingredient found in a variety of different weight loss products, and is often represented as a natural alternative to prescription diet pills, acting as a muscle builder as well as aiding in weight loss. Studies, however, have shown very little improvement in weight.
Weight loss medications and supplements should be avoid in a case of history of anxiety disorder, heart problems, high blood pressure, glaucoma, thyroid disorders, epilepsy or antidepressant medication with MAO-inhibitors. Any use of appetite suppressant medication during pregnancy or nursing should be avoided.